Senior Fellow in Legal Philosophy
Pacific Legal Foundation—the nation’s first and most successful public interest law firm dedicated to vindicating individual liberty—seeks a dynamic, principled, and enthusiastic Senior Fellow in Legal Philosophy to promote a sound understanding of constitutional and legal issues through regular speaking, writing, and other methods of public persuasion.
The Senior Fellow in Legal Philosophy will serve as PLF’s primary public intellectual among legal opinion leaders, supporters, and the interested public. Backstopped by an outreach team who will work to keep your schedule full, you will be a key public face of the organization. Your objective? Advance liberty and justice for all by making the intellectual and moral case for liberty to friends and foes alike.
If successful, you’ll be famous! But that will be a byproduct of making a compelling public case for the principles you and PLF share. Your job will be to generate an intellectual response and move the debate, because that’s part of what the intellectual conversation is about. You’ll do this in many ways, such as:
- Expressing views on popular topics in a way accessible to a general audience.
- Enthusiastically participating in speaking engagements of various forms—lectures, debates, panel discussions, congressional testimony, etc.
- Regularly crafting op-eds, blog posts, and other materials for public consumption. Maybe even writing a book in your spare time.
- Keeping a close eye on current public policy issues and entrepreneurially seeking ways to engage the big issues of the day.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A deep commitment to and understanding of the principles of liberty.
- A thorough understanding and appreciation for PLF and the issues we litigate.
- A postgraduate degree, preferably in law—but we will also entertain candidates with a background in the humanities or social sciences who have a strong understanding of constitutional principles.
- Skill and charisma in communicating the principles and moral foundations of liberty—great on the stump! This includes but is not limited to: where our rights are derived; why the Constitution is such an important institution; why the institutions of a free society are critical to human flourishing; and why personal liberty is morally imperative.
- The ability to pivot between lay and legal audiences in your communication.
- A pre-existing public profile, i.e., many people have already heard of you through your professional activities, social media profiles, etc.
- Unwavering humility: willing and able to engage diverse groups—including intellectual opponents—in respectful dialogue, sway hearts and minds, and remain above the fray.
- Similarly steadfast integrity: a critical dissenter who loves to persuade and dispel myths, not simply to vanquish your enemies, but because you are ultimately a truth-seeker.
The role will also benefit from:
- “T-shaped” interests—deep expertise in one subject and an active general knowledge/interest spanning many related subjects.
- Experience with litigation, public interest law, or academia.
- Experience conducting legal or other scholarly research.
- A robust publication record.
- Experience with media interviewing.
- A strong network within—and ideally beyond—free market organizations and/or legal opinion leaders.
Candidates with the requisite background may, if interested, have the opportunity to participate on PLF litigation teams and help directly vindicate the liberties of our clients. For the right candidate, we will consider a role that mixes these duties with on-the-ground litigation.
PLF identifies and litigates important legal issues to set landmark precedents that will benefit Americans nationwide. Using strategic and principled litigation, communications, and research, we battle for freedom in the nation’s courts and the court of public opinion. Our attorneys have ten victories before the U.S. Supreme Court—a record unmatched by anyone in the liberty movement—plus additional cases currently before the High Court with decisions pending. Simply put, we know how to get cases to the Supreme Court and we know how to win.
If you share our passion to vindicate the principles of freedom and individual liberty, you should be a part of PLF, no matter where you live. A national nonprofit organization, PLF has offices in Sacramento, California; Arlington, Virginia; Palm Beach Gardens, Florida; and Bellevue, Washington. The right candidates will have the ability to work in one of these existing locations or elsewhere—virtually or from a physical office.
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter. The resume should have the usual: your experience in the liberty movement, your professional experience, as well as your academic credentials. The cover letter should explain why PLF is the place for you, why you want to fight for liberty, and what distinguishes you from typical applicants.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF:
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position.
- Please include “[Job Title]–[Your Name]” in the subject line of your email.
- Materials should be emailed to Dawn Gonzales, Director of Human Resources: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
This is a full-time, permanent position. PLF is committed to recruiting and retaining the highest quality talent available nationwide, and we offer a total compensation package that includes a competitive salary, medical and dental insurance, and employer-paid retirement savings. We take work-life balance seriously through our generous paid leave and flextime policies. We have a flexible, collaborative, positive, and collegial work environment. We take pride in investing in your future and encourage internal advancement. PLF is the place for someone principled, tenacious, and determined to succeed in positively shaping the future of our country and restoring real limits on government power. Join us.